Thursday 20 October 2011

An Overlooked Commoner

Back in our reliably short British summer, I discovered some Wild Marjoram (otherwise known as Oregano[Origanum vulgare]) in my favourite foraging spot - the hedgerows along the Pilgrim's Way between Lenham and Harrietsham.
Origanum volgare - not vulgar in the slightest and popular with bees

As well as looking pretty dandy, this aromatic herb loves chalky soil, so you can't go far in Kent without discovering it growing in abundance. Everyone with a basic culinary knowledge knows you can chuck the leaves on pizzas and pasta to add that familiar Italian kick (although as John Wright points out in his great book 'Hedgerow', it's a species native to the British Isles). It's a tough perennial, very high in antioxidants and probably sitting untouched in a hedgerow near you. Gather some before the winter's upon us.

On the same day, I found myself in the Loose Valley, just south of Maidstone and thought I could smell the distinctive pungent odour of wild garlic on the wind (although I'm willing to admit it could've been a bumper order of garlic bread at the local pub). I made a mental note to return at some point to hunt the stuff down, but as I'm quite the novice at this stage, I want to be sure I pick the right stuff and not the very similar (and poisonous) Lily of Valley. The lack of garlicky stench is usually enough to give it away, though. Watch this space.

1 comment:

Beatrice Cloake N.A.P.A said...

What an interesting Blog this is.
I cannot wait to read more....

Thank you for your informations.